After Purchasing a domain and hosting, every beginner blogger looks for best free blogging platforms to start designing the blog. And Choosing a correct platform plays the most important role in blogging journey. This post is especially for those looking for a better platform to start blogging without spending a single penny.
It is because there are many free blogging platforms as well as paid ones available. I know this happens to be a paradoxical situation for beginners to choose the right one.
Choosing the right blogging platform is essential because switching it later on for any reason can cause many problems in your site’s ranking. At last in the concluding lines of this post, I will give you my recommendation on which platform you should go for.
What is a Blogging Platform?
For designing a site you need coding skills but blogging platforms have made things easier and efficient. These Blogging Platforms simplify the work of creating a blog and publishing content worldwide. In Other Words, Blogging Platform is a service that facilitates the creation of blogs and publishing posts on it.
Recommended: What is a Blog and How it works?
In this article, I am going to write a detailed comparison, advantages, and disadvantages of 16 free blogging platforms. This will surely help- you choose the right one.
Advantages of a free Blogging Platform
- Provides free domain and hosting.
- You do not need to learn languages like CSS, Java, HTML to operate it.
- Free tutorials for creating a blog are available.
- You can easily design your site using free templates.
- Many free platforms also provide the facility to move to a self-hosted platform after taking a content backup.
Disadvantages of a free Blogging Platform
- You cannot fully customize your site.
- It does not provide unlimited resources.
- The quality of free templates may not be much good than paid ones.
- In the growing competition, it has become difficult to derive traffic to a free blog.
- You did not get the proper tools for better SEO.
Best 16 Free Blogging Platforms
Most of the blogger prefer to start their online career with the WordPress platform. I am talking about wordpress.com, not wordpress.org. People often confuse between both these terms. But there is a huge difference between both of them.
WordPress.org is a self-hosted blogging platform. Here you have to buy a separate domain and host it into some other server that you like. On the other hand, wordpress.com is completely free and hosts on its own servers. However, you can purchase and integrate another domain to get rid of a subdomain.
You do not need to spend money while using wordpress.com blogging platform. But most of the bloggers who want to spend money prefer self-hosted WordPress platform i.e, WordPress.org.
As a beginner I hope you will like wordpress.com
- You can start without spending a single penny.
- Easy to use and customize.
- You do not need coding skills.
- User-Friendly backend management.
- There are limited options. You cannot use custom themes and plugins.
- Your account can be suspended on violation of terms.
- You cannot run ads of any ad network. Instead, WordPress shows its own ads.
- You have to continue with wordpress.com subdomain in the basic free plan.
- Basic Plan– Rs.0(Suitable for newbies to start without investment).
- Blogger Plan– Rs.150(Best For Bloggers)
- Personal Plan– Rs.250/month(Best For Personal Use)
- Premium Plan– Rs.350/month( Best for Freelancers)
- Business Plan– Rs.800(Suitable for Small Businesses)
- eCommerce Plan– Rs.1450( Best For Online Stores)
2. Blogger( Google’s Free Blogging Platform)
Google’s Blogger is one of the best free blogging platforms since it is hosted by Google itself. And the best thing about it is that it’s 100% free of cost. It means anyone can start a free blog at blogger.com.
In the past few years, it’s popularity has been reduced with the coming of other more user-friendly platforms. But still, it is a great platform that allows free blogging and this fact cannot be ignored.
Although you did not get many features to design your blog here but free services like hosting, SSL, free templates are worth it.
- Provides Free Unlimited Hosting
- It is easy to use.
- Reliable platform as it’s a Google’s product.
- Free SSL service
- Limited Blogging Tools are available. You cannot add more features as your blog grows.
- Designing Options are limited, you can get a few templates which are already being used by others.
- No Updates or new features.
- Google can shut this platform at any time. As many others like FeedBurner and google plus.
Blogger is free with a Blogger subdomain like https://example.blogspot.com. On the off chance that you need to utilize a custom space, you have to purchase from some other domain registrar.
Medium is a growing free blogging platform. Good Writers can get better recognition at this platform because it is more like a community. Each month at least 60 million readers visit this platform to gain knowledge.
In addition, this platform is likewise direct with regards to utilizing it. You’d need to join and start composing. It’s essentially about it. In any case, one thing that you should remember is that Medium doesn’t give you a chance to make your very own space as WordPress does. In this way, your substance will be posted on Medium and no individual blog.
- Easy to use.
- No coding skills required.
- You can reach an existing community of mutual interest.
- You can better focus on writing as there is no need for designing.
- Design and Brand building features are limited.
- Medium is the owner of your content, losing blog means losing your followers.
- You cannot publishers platforms to run your own ads.
- You cannot use your own custom domain.
Medium Platform is free to use. Most of the people land here for writing without any intention of monetary benefits. But those who come here with earning intention switch earlier yo WordPress or another blogging platform.
The most prominent way to get started with a website is the Wix platform. It allows you to manage every aspect of your blog.
You can easily create your website just by drag and drop feature of Wix. Anyone can easily create a website using Wix without any coding skills.
I think this is a perfect platform for startup businesses to get started with. By using the Wix blog app you can also add your blog with Wix website.
- Very Easy and Quick Setup
- You can easily create your website just by dragging and dropping
- You can customize your website with many available templates.
- Free of cost third party are limited for use.
- You cannot change a template once selected and applied.
- It shows Wix branding and own ads.
- eCommerce website building features are limited.
You can start free blogging with its basic plan. There are premium plans as well which starts just from $1 per month. Premium Plans provides more features as compared to the basic one.
Don’t think of the real ghost! Because thinking may call them!
Here I am talking about Ghost named free blogging platform. It is very easy to use and have a simple interface.
This one is another prevalent blogging site that you can consider to assemble an astoundingly beneficial blog. It’s a self-facilitated stage and charges a sum for that.
Like WordPress, this one is furnished with a heap of intriguing highlights. With a rich supervisor and versatile substance the board framework, Ghost gives you a chance to make quality substance effortlessly.
Like WordPress, Ghost also have two varients:
- One is Free Version
- Another one is self-hosted
The free version is easy to start writing with a blog but the self-hosted version requires some technical skills to start a blog.
- You can focus on writing without much care about designing.
- Easily usable interface.
- Customization is not that much easy.
- Limited theme options are available.
- Less user interface related options.
In case you’re picking a self-hosted variant, you’d require a custom area and web facilitating, which will cost you $14.99/year and $7.99/month separately. In addition, the estimating plan has been separated into three sections, Basic, Standard, and Business – beginning from $29/month. You can likewise have a 14-days free preliminary to survey distinctive parts of this stage before you jump into the excellent forms.
Joomla is an open source programming content administration framework, much the same as WordPress.org. It’s additionally a self-facilitated arrangement, which implies you will require an area name and web facilitating to utilize it.
While the way toward making a blog in Joomla is like WordPress.org, the Joomla dashboard isn’t as clear and basic as WordPress.
First discharged in 2005, Joomla now controls more than 2 million sites on the web.
- It is very handy and can build any kind of website.
- For customizing the website design you can choose from hundreds of templates available there.
- Application Extensions are available for adding more features into your Joomla blog.
- Comparing to WordPress, Joomla community is less prominent and limited themes.
- Support Options are not too good. Paid ones are costly.
- You have to ensure backups, updates, the security of your blog yourself.
Joomla is free yet you will require a space (about $14.99/year) and facilitating (typically beginning from $7.99/month) to utilize it. In the event that you use SiteGround, at that point you can begin for $3.95 every month, and you will get a free area.
Yola restrains you a bit on the off chance that you have stupendous designs for your blog – you can just have two destinations and three website pages with its free arrangement – yet the upside is a solid 1GB of capacity and transfer speed, and your webpage won’t be covered with unattractive outsider advertisements.
The beginning is simple, with many customizable formats to look over, a direct site developer for assembling everything, adaptable designs, and simplified gadgets. Also, on the off chance that you have the right stuff, at that point, you can alter your CSS so as to calibrate your site’s look.
- Easy to get started and manage.
- There are many templates available to choose from.
- Powerful and flexible.
- You can make your own designs.
- You need some CSS skills to design your site more better according to your will.
- Limited Features in the free basic Plan.
- Free Plan – Limited Features
- Bronze Plan – $6.95
- Silver Plan-$14.95
- Gold Plan -$29.95
Hubpages is a wide community that offers various services to passionate people willing to share knowledge. It is a system of locales that empower bloggers (or Hubbers) to impart their story to a tremendous open network.
It has an Arts and Design segment, which will be a cheerful home for inventive bloggers, and Hubpages majors on its capacity to interface its clients with a wide gathering of people and win income from promotions and subsidiaries.
- You can completely focus on writing the content.
- No need to spend your time designing.
- Have a vast community of reader.
- You can earn with affiliates and ads.
- Over 36,000,000 audience land per month on HubPages.
- The sole owner of your content is Hubpages itself, that doesn’t give you 100% ownership unlike in self-hosted blogs.
- You cannot design according to your choice.
It is a completely free platform that offers passionate people a window to the world. Anyone can just visit, join and start blogging here.
Subrion is an open source content management system. This provides you enough features to design and manage your content effectively on its super flexible platform.
The platform is fully customizable and provides various plugins for better features and management.
- It is 100% Free Platform. You can fully customize it without spending a single peeny for it.
- Extremely easy to add extra stuff using its framework API.
- Many plugins and themes are available which can be installed with single click.
- It has powerful admin dashboard.
- Provides multilingual CMS using which you can translate the system into language you want work in.
- There are some minimum requirements to fulfill while installing subrion CMS like server information, php configuration.
- So you need some skills to manage the subrion’s content management system.
Basic Features are totally free to use in Subrion Platform But there are many premium features as well.
- Article writing Script starts from $99 for one site.
- Autos Classified software starts from $199 for one site.
- Coupon and Deals script starts from $99 for one site.
There are other premium plans as well. The pricing for each plan increases the number of sites you want to use.
Contentful is a platform that provides a modern way of content management adopted by most of the emerging companies. It provides some powerful add-ons and management system to create a wonderful infrastructure for the content.
- You can launch your digital products in a much faster way.
- You can edit and store your content at a single place.
- Better user experience can be created using contentful.
- There are some technical limits that you need to follow.
You can start with the free plan that provides 1 free micro space, 10 free users and SDK for 8 languages.
As you grow, you can go for its premium plans that starts from $39 billed monthly.
So These were top 10 free blogging platforms where you can start your blogging career in 2019. Now, as mentioned in starting, My recommendation based on my personal experience is that you should go with Blogger if you do not have a single penny to spend on your blog. And If you can spend some amount then definitely you should go for the WordPress platform. Last, I hope this post will help you choose the best free blogging platforms to start your blogging journey.